Designed by the borough surveyor to Brierley Hill, Lewis Harper and built by CA Horton. The Technical Institute and Library was designed to accommodate the two functions of a public, free library and a technical institute to train the many apprentices in the local glass industry. Carnegie gave £2,000 towards the library building in 1901 and the rest of the cost was borne by Brierley Hill Urban District Council. The foundation stone was laid in April 1903, and the building opened in 1904.
The brick and terracotta used were locally produced by the Ketley Brick Company, and the sculptures of Learning and Art were modelled by Arthur Gibbons and Albert Oakden who were, respectively, headmaster and assistant of the School of Art.
The building continued to operate as a technical institute for the glass industry throughout the C20 and is now (2011) a ‘Heritage College’.
Awarded Grade II listing in 2012.
Current status: Now offices (2016)
- Year grant given (if known): 1901
- Amount of grant: £2,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 1904
Photo of library today:
Haven’t found one yet
Old photo of library (postcard):
- Entry on the listed buildings register