Benwell library

Brief description

Built on land donated by a local landowner: Frank Buddie Atkinson, by Jacob Parkinson and Sons, the library was designed by Newcastle Corporation’s architect: F H Holford.

Current status: Closed as a library in 2008, now used as offices by a group of charities.

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant: £5,500
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): 26 January 1909 by Dr Spence Watson – who was then issued with the first book to be loaned from the library.

Photo of library today:

benwell-forblog

Details:

Old photo of library (postcard):

benwell

Visited?

Drove past this former library in November 2015

Web links: