The Carnegie library stood on the corner of George Street and Williamson Street (built on the site of a previous library). Luton museum was set up in the library in 1927, before moving to a purpose built home in 1930.
Current status: Demolished in 1962, after a new library was built close by.
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £12000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 1 October 1910 by Mr. Whitelaw Reid, the American Ambassador. Carnegie also attended the opening.
Old photo of library (postcard):
- Bedfordshire archives: Luton Carnegie library (article which contains detailed plans)
- News: The shelf lives of Luton’s three public libraries (2013)