Shirehampton library

Brief description

Dated 1904. Designed by the architect Frederick Bligh Bond in a Queen Anne revivalist style, and built by C A Hayes.

From the listing: On the 10 August 1903 Squire Napier Miles of King’s Weston Estate donated land to the parish of Shirehampton for the building of the public hall. It was built at a cost of £2715 and funded by a £100 donation from Squire Miles and funds from Barton Regis Rural District Council, which consisted of six civil parishes including Shirehampton. The library, which was not included in the original plan, had been added to the design by 1904, and its building was funded with an £800 donation from the Carnegie Foundation. The official opening of the public hall and library was on the 29 September 1904 but it was not until 6 March 1905 that the library was opened to members of the public.

[ask to see the workroom and old librarian’s office upstairs. It has a Carnegie plaque on the front door……shared with the village hall which was used for dances, amateur theatre etc.] Historic interest: the first performance of Ralph Vaughan Williams’ ‘The Lark Ascending’ was performed at the public hall on the 15 December 1920.

Awarded Grade II listing in 1977

Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Bristol city council (2016)

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant: £800
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): 29 September 1904

Photo of library today:

No free to use image traced yet

Old photo of library (postcard):

Nothing in my collection yet

Visited?

Not yet

Web links:

Bridgwater library

Brief description

The foundation stone was laid by the Mayor, Henry W Pollard on 10 August 1905, who also opened the library. The architect was E Godfrey Page. The design is described as Edwardian Baroque.

The library was extended in 1970, by a big new building out the back in a completely different style.

Awarded Grade II listing in 1974.

Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Somerset County Council (2016)

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant:
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): September 1906, the the Mayor, Henry W Pollard.

Photo of library today (2008):

Details:

Old photo of library (postcard):

bridgwater

Visited?

Yes, in 2008.

Web links:

Taunton library

Brief description

Architects were A Colbourne Little and Ingleson C Goodison, and the builder was TH Moggridge.

Current status: The library closed in 1996, and it became a winebar/restaurant.

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant:
  • Foundation stone laid: 13 October 1904
  • Year opened: 24 August 1905 by the Mayor: Josiah Lewis

Photo of library today:

2503046018_e1f18a816e_z

Details:

taunton-forblog

The brass plaque from the library which is now on the wall in the new one.

2503046172_93e88b24f5_z

Foundation stone still visible on the old library.

Old photo of library (postcard):

taunton

Visited?

Found the old library in 2008 when returning from a holiday in Cornwall. Visited the new library in Taunton in April 2016, and saw the brass plaque

Web links:

Location 16 on Taunton Town Heritage Trail