Designed by local architects Walter Hanstock & Son. The central round arched window has panel below with carved embossed words CARNEGIE LIBRARY. The library opened with a staff of 5.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1984.
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Kirklees Council (2016)
- Year grant given (if known): 1903
- Amount of grant: £6,000 in 1903 and a further £988 for the clock tower
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 19 October 1907
Photo of library today (2011):
Photo credit: flickr user Tim Green, shared under CC licence
Old photo of library (postcard):