Winton library

Brief description

The first of four libraries to be built in Bournemouth following the Carnegie award.
It was built on land given by Lord Leven. The winning tender for the new library was from Miller and Sons who submitted an estimate of £1,833.

The library was modernised and redecorated in 1926 and extended in 1933. Forty years later in 1967 there was another major refurbishment which included new floors and lighting.

It was declared a Grade 2 listed building in 1976.

There were more refurbishments in 1993 and 2006 – when the library was fitted with a computer suite.

Current status: Still a public library, managed by Bournemouth borough council

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant: £10,000 to build 4 libraries: Westbourne, Springbourne, Winton and Boscombe
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): 26 October 1907, by Alderman JA Parsons, Mayor of Bournemouth.

Photo of library today:

9631851580_a5590fbc0c_z

Details:

9628617499_18be86039d_z

Old photo of library (postcard):

Visited?

We visited in 2013.  It was busy, but the librarian had time to talk. She explained the back of the building used to house a bindery, but once that was no longer needed, it was refurbished and now houses a children’s centre.
The street off to the right is called Library Road!

Web links:

Springbourne library

Brief description

One of 4 built in Bournemouth with Carnegie funding – the second to be opened.

Current status: Still a public library, managed by Bournemouth borough council

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant: £10,000 to build 4 libraries: Westbourne, Springbourne, Winton and Boscombe
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): 1909

Photo of library today:

9628617033_2b9790055e_z

Details:

Old photo of library (postcard):

Visited?

We visited in 2013. Unfortunately it had just closed, so we couldn’t see inside, but there was a lovely garden next door.

Web links:

Westbourne library

Brief description

Arts and Crafts style building, the last of 4 built in Bournemouth with Carnegie funding. The cost of the build by Messrs. Barnes & Pond was £1,887. The opening ceremony was a prestigious event attended by the Mayor of Bournemouth alderman Henry Robson, the Libraries Committee and Mr J A Longden. The latter of whom had made the library possible.

At Westbourne the difficulty was not only finding the money, but also acquiring a suitable plot of land. In 1914 the Carnegie Trust withdrew their offer due to the lack of progress in finding a site, but after an appeal in the local papers Mr Longden purchased the north portion of the garden of Wilton House on Alum Chine Road, and gifted it to Bournemouth Council.

At the opening ceremony, the Mayor was presented with a commemorative silver-gilt key by the architect Mr C T Miles, and Mr Longden, the borrower of the first book ‘Bournemouth 1810-1910’.

It closed in 1966 for 3 weeks to allow for extensive refurbishment – and this is when the new entrance was built. Then in the early 1990s it was extended into an ajoining site.

Awarded Grade II listing in 1976.

Current status: Still a public library, managed by Bournemouth borough council

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant: £10,000 to build 4 libraries: Westbourne, Springbourne, Winton and Boscombe
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): Henry Robson, Mayor in May 1916

Photo of library today:

9631849756_1e99ccf4e9_z (1)

Details:

Old photo of library (postcard):

Visited?

We visited in 2013

Web links: