Loughborough library

Brief description

Built between 1903-5. Designed by Barrowcliff and Allcock of Loughborough. The entry on the listings register describes it as being in “an exuberant Baroque style”. It includes a linked former librarian’s house (which is in a vernacular revival style). It contains art nouveau style glass.

A large extension was added in the mid-1960s. In 2013, after various other council services moved in, it was renamed Loughborough community library and learning centre.

Awarded Grade II listing in 2007.

Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Leicestershire County Council (2017)

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant:
  • Year opened (and by who – if known):  1905

Photo of library today (2011):

geograph-2311991-by-dave-bevis

From Geograph: © Copyright Dave Bevis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Details:

Old photo of library (postcard):

loughborough

Visited?

Not yet

Web links:

Advertisements

Melton Mowbray library

Brief description

The foundation stone was laid in July 1905 and the library was opened just 4 months later.

Current status: The library closed in the 1970s, and was refurbished as a museum. (2016)

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant:
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): 26 October 1905, by Mr William Willcox (who I think is likely the town councillor who did a lot to ensure the library was built)

Photo of library today (2010):

4735501853_f1ff0dbff7_z

Details:

4736139418_fec66076b3_z

This stained glass used to be in (or above) the front door of the library. It is now inside the museum. The central shield is the town coat of arms, but apparently the lion is facing the wrong way.

Postcard of library:

meltonmowbray

Visited?

Yes, in 2010 – long after it had become a museum.

Web links:

Leicester library

Brief description

The library was designed by Edward Burgess and built by Clark & Garrett of Willow Street.

The new library was opened by Andrew Carnegie himself. The opening ceremony took place at 3pm in the Reference Library on the first floor, presided over by the Mayor of Leicester, Councillor Stephen Hilton. Mr Carnegie was presented with three volumes of the Records of the Borough of Leicester which had been specially bound for the occasion “in full myrtle green crushed Levant morocco, sewn flexibly with silk, with antique gold edges. Tooled and lettered in gold’. Edward Burgess also presented Mr Carnegie with a gold key. The library was opened to the public the next day.*

Awarded Grade 2 listing in 1975.

Current status: still a public library, managed by Leicester City council.

  • Year grant given (if known): 1902
  • Amount of grant: £12,000
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): 8 May 1905 by Andrew Carnegie

Photo of library today:

12699658353_ddd60ae59f_z

Details:

12699652023_d42cb05737_z (1)

Old photo of library (postcard):

leicester-municipal

Visited:

We visited in 2014 and spoke with the librarians, one of whom remembered dressing up in period costume to celebrate the centenary, another told us about the original layout – which was reading rooms and closed access.

Web links: