The library was built 1904-6 by H Snell, architect to the Windsor estate, in the Free Jacobean style. The contractor was Mr Bond. The site was donated by Lord Windsor. The foundation stone was laid by Samuel Thomas, chairman of the library committee, on 10 September 1904.
While the library was opened in 1905, it was not until 1909 that the council could afford the additional £350 to build the planned caretakers cottage alongside.
The original entrance was through an arched doorway on Stanwell Road (the left of the photo below, and shown in the old postcard). This doorway is now closed, but the painted stained glass is still in place (see photo below). The new entrance is approached by steps or a ramp.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1990
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Vale of Glamorgan council (2019)
- Year grant given (if known): 1904
- Amount of grant: £4,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 30 August 1905 by Lord Windsor.
Photo of library today (2019):
Old photo of library (postcard):
Yes, during our holiday in South Wales in June 2019.
- Entry on the listed buildings register
- Penarth library on twitter
- News article: Penarth Library to undergo extensive refurbishment project (September 2020) Library to be refurbished – a makerspace added and the ground floor modernised