Following a competition, the architects Charles E. Hutchinson and E. Harding Payne of London were appointed and the building was designed in the Edwardian Baroque style. The complex was built in two stages, with the library completed and opened first, the council offices two years later.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1979.
Current status: Major refurbishment started in 2001, and the library reopened in 2007. Still open as a public library, run by Vale of Glamorgan council (2021)
Year grant given (if known): 1903
Amount of grant: £8,000
Year opened (and by who – if known): 1 March 1906 by the Earl of Plymouth
The library was built 1904-6 by H Snell, architect to the Windsor estate, in the Free Jacobean style. The contractor was Mr Bond. The site was donated by Lord Windsor. The foundation stone was laid by Samuel Thomas, chairman of the library committee, on 10 September 1904.
While the library was opened in 1905, it was not until 1909 that the council could afford the additional £350 to build the planned caretakers cottage alongside.
The original entrance was through an arched doorway on Stanwell Road (the left of the photo below, and shown in the old postcard). This doorway is now closed, but the painted stained glass is still in place (see photo below). The new entrance is approached by steps or a ramp.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1990
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Vale of Glamorgan council (2019)
Year grant given (if known): 1904
Amount of grant: £4,000
Year opened (and by who – if known): 30 August 1905 by Lord Windsor.
Photo of library today (2019):
Old photo of library (postcard):
Yes, during our holiday in South Wales in June 2019.