The building occupies the original site of the first Bridge Wesleyan Chapel. Adam Crompton Bealey bought the site and presented it to the town for the new library.
According to Nicholl’s History and Traditions of Radcliffe of 1910, ‘The building is an ornament to the town, and its interior arrangements most convenient. The reading room is well patronised by the people, and many books are taken out from its library. The institution is one of the recognised sources of culture in the town.’
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Bury council (part of Greater Manchester) (2017) [note, consultation underway into the future of the library network in Bury, and Radcliffe is on the list of possible closures – February 2017]
- Year grant given (if known): 1902
- Amount of grant: £5,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 19 October 1907
Photo of library today (2010):
Old photo of library (postcard):