Radcliffe library

Brief description

The building occupies the original site of the first Bridge Wesleyan Chapel.  Adam Crompton Bealey bought the site and presented it to the town for the new library. The architect was Henry Lord – and the Victorian architects website entry below reports that as the winner of the competition to design the new library, he also won £50.

According to Nicholl’s History and Traditions of Radcliffe of 1910, ‘The building is an ornament to the town, and its interior arrangements most convenient. The reading room is well patronised by the people, and many books are taken out from its library. The institution is one of the recognised sources of culture in the town.’

Current status: Still a public library, run by Bury council (part of Greater Manchester) [2021] [note, a consultation took place in 2017 into the future of the library network in Bury, and Radcliffe was on the list of possible closures]

  • Year grant given (if known): 1902
  • Amount of grant: £5,000
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): 19 October 1907

Photo of library in 2010:

geograph-1668772-by-david-dixonPhoto credit: David Dixon  on geograph, licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Old photo of library (postcard):

radcliffe-edit

Visited?

Not yet

Web links: