Designed by 1906, by architects Gorman and Ross. Sir Walter Foster laid the foundation stone. Opened in 1906. Above the entrance is a “mosaiced tympanum with the figure of Learning set against a golden sunburst.” The library also has a large stained glass window by Stoddart of Nottingham.
Extended in the 1960s, then reopened after refurbishment in 2005
Awarded Grade II listing in 1986. To east of the main entrance is a pair of free-standing iron gates, all that now remains of the original Art Nouveau railings that encircled the library. These are also included in the listing.
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Derbyshire county council (2016)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant:
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 23 June 1906, by Lord Fitzmaurice
Photo of library today:
Image credit: Richard Belton (former library manager) – and thanks to Kath Aitken, who shared it.
Old photo of library (postcard):
- Entry on the listed buildings register
- Poem, commissioned by Derbyshire CC to commemorate the centenary: The House that Carnegie built