An unusual looking building – as described on the listings register: One storey in ashlar. Portico with 4 Tuscan columns, originally open between the columns. Very wide modillion eaves cornice in wood. Moulded pediment surmounts the whole frontage.
This is probably because, unlike other buildings which Carnegie funded, Stamford decided not to build new, but to reuse an existing building.
“Stamford Corporation purchased the White Lion Inn in High Street in 1801. This was knocked down and a market and shambles by William Legg was built on the site and opened in 1808. After the Public Libraries’ Act was adopted in 1903, the building was converted to a library, with a librarian’s cottage behind.”
[last paragraph is from the article by David Lambourne – see link below]
Awarded Grade II listing in 1954
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Better (Lincolnshire have contracted out their libraries and they are now run by the CIC formerly known as GLL) (2016)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £2,500
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 25 Jan 1906 by Earl Brownlow
Photo of library today (2010):
Photo credit:Tricia Watson
- Entry on the listed buildings register
- David Lambourne wrote a series of short articles on Lincolnshire’s Carnegie libraries which were published in ‘Lincolnshire Past and Present‘