The first brick was laid on 5 December 1903 and the library opened in 1904.
Current status: Closed in 2016 when the new Arcadia library and leisure centre opened in central Levenshulme. See news article linked below – the building has been redeveloped, and reopened as an arts and community centre in 2018.
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant:
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 1904
Photo of library today:
Old photo of library (postcard):
Visited on 13 April 2016 (after it had closed, so only saw the outside).
- Goodbye Levenshulme library blog post when the library closed – containing lots of photos of the interior.
- The streets where you lived – if you scroll down this page you’ll find another postcard of the Library when it stood alone – with no trees in front.
- News article: Levenshulme’s old library is set to reopen for the first time in two years