The architects were Ernest Ogden and Percy Cartwright Hoy. The library was on Oldham Road.
“The library moved out of this building into a then modern building around the corner in the 60’s/70’s and the library was used as council offices for many years and became a bit dilapidated. Then about ten or fifteen years ago the council saw sense and it was refurbished, extended and they moved the library back in” (source – blog post linked below.)
Current status: Not sure when the library moved out again – but it is currently in the buildings next door to the original library, which were originally council offices. The library space is now offices. (2021)
Designed by Arthur R Grant and James Lindsay Grant of Manchester in the Jacobean Revival style, for Chadderton UDC. Built during 1904-5, shortly after the construction of the neighbouring police station and the first public baths, these buildings being the town’s earliest purpose built civic buildings, forming the original core of the town.
The building was altered during the 1950s, losing a cupola, flagpole and part of the parapet to the tower above the entrance.
Awarded Grade II listing in 2011.
Current status: Remained in use as a public library until 2010. It was sold in 2011 and bought by Community Skills Development Agency (CSDA) who planned to turn it into a training centre. (2016)