The architect was J Cook Rees. The book “Books, Buildings and Social Engineering: Early Public Libraries in Britain” includes the date 1905, while the stone over the door has the date 1904. More research needed!
Current status: Currently a community centre, owned by Coedffranc Town council. News items (linked below) indicate that the library service may relocate back to the building! (2019). Update – see comment below – library services are due to return and the library will reopen in March 2020.
- Year grant given (if known): 1903
- Amount of grant: £2,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 10 June 1905 by Mrs Blanche Evans (the american bride of local lawyer – thanks to local historian who provided the information in her comment below)
Photo of library today (2019):
Old photo of library (postcard):
Yes, on our way back from a week in Pembrokeshire.
- Press release: Councillors consider a new chapter for Skewen’s library service (2019)