The architect was Henry Hare, who designed a building in the Baroque style. (Note, he also designed libraries in libraries in Wolverhampton, Harrogate, Southend, Islington, Shoreditch and Fulham.) Sculptural ornaments including figures of Shakespeare & Milton and reliefs of literature and Art, Industry and Science. The sculptor was Frederick Schenk
The library was refurbished and reopened in 2014.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1980
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham (2017)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant:
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 1905
Photo of library today (2014):
Photo credit: Hammersmith and Fulham council (shared via flickr under cc licence)
Old photo of library (postcard):
- Entry on the listed buildings register
- Wikipedia entry
- Article: Who built Hammersmith library?
- Blog post: Hammersmith Carnegie Library, Shepherds Bush Road W6