Middlesbrough library

Brief description

The first announcement of the offer by Andrew Carnegie of funding for the erection of a new public library for Middlesbrough was made at a meeting of the Free Library and Museum Committee in 1908. 203 designs were submitted and Mr Edwin Cooper FRIBA was appointed architect. Mr Henry McNaughton’s tender for construction was accepted and the foundation stone was laid by Councillor Walter Roberts.

One feature to note, you can still see the separate entrance which gave access to the Juvenile Library (its name is carved in stone above the door). This is described in the architects’ description as: “the secondary entrance which gives access to the Juvenile Library enabling children to approach it without entering that part of the building where their presence is not desired”. The library also contained a ladies’ reading room and general newsroom.

Current status: a public library operated by Middlesbrough Borough Council.

  • Year grant given (if known): January 1908 and foundation stone laid 2 May 1910
  • Amount of grant: £15,000
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): opened by Alderman Amos Hinton JP on 8 May 1912

Photo of library today:

middlesbrough

Details:

middlesbrough-inside

The reference room

Unfortunately, while there are shiny brass plaques giving details of all involved in opening the library, they are behind equally shiny perspex, so my photos contain more reflections than detail!

Old photo of library (postcard):

middlesbrough

There is still an open space in front of this library, and trees, but no bandstand.

Visited?

I visited this library in July 2016. Downstairs was busy, and there were a couple of people reading in the wonderful upstairs reading room.

Web links:

Advertisements

Winton library

Brief description

The first of four libraries to be built in Bournemouth following the Carnegie award.
It was built on land given by Lord Leven. The winning tender for the new library was from Miller and Sons who submitted an estimate of £1,833.

The library was modernised and redecorated in 1926 and extended in 1933. Forty years later in 1967 there was another major refurbishment which included new floors and lighting.

It was declared a Grade 2 listed building in 1976.

There were more refurbishments in 1993 and 2006 – when the library was fitted with a computer suite.

Current status: Still a public library, managed by Bournemouth borough council

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant: £10,000 to build 4 libraries: Westbourne, Springbourne, Winton and Boscombe
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): 26 October 1907, by Alderman JA Parsons, Mayor of Bournemouth.

Photo of library today:

9631851580_a5590fbc0c_z

Details:

9628617499_18be86039d_z

Old photo of library (postcard):

Visited?

We visited in 2013.  It was busy, but the librarian had time to talk. She explained the back of the building used to house a bindery, but once that was no longer needed, it was refurbished and now houses a children’s centre.
The street off to the right is called Library Road!

Web links:

Springbourne library

Brief description

One of 4 built in Bournemouth with Carnegie funding – the second to be opened.

Current status: Still a public library, managed by Bournemouth borough council

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant: £10,000 to build 4 libraries: Westbourne, Springbourne, Winton and Boscombe
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): 1909

Photo of library today:

9628617033_2b9790055e_z

Details:

Old photo of library (postcard):

Visited?

We visited in 2013. Unfortunately it had just closed, so we couldn’t see inside, but there was a lovely garden next door.

Web links:

Westbourne library

Brief description

Arts and Crafts style building, the last of 4 built in Bournemouth with Carnegie funding. The cost of the build by Messrs. Barnes & Pond was £1,887. The opening ceremony was a prestigious event attended by the Mayor of Bournemouth alderman Henry Robson, the Libraries Committee and Mr J A Longden. The latter of whom had made the library possible.

At Westbourne the difficulty was not only finding the money, but also acquiring a suitable plot of land. In 1914 the Carnegie Trust withdrew their offer due to the lack of progress in finding a site, but after an appeal in the local papers Mr Longden purchased the north portion of the garden of Wilton House on Alum Chine Road, and gifted it to Bournemouth Council.

At the opening ceremony, the Mayor was presented with a commemorative silver-gilt key by the architect Mr C T Miles, and Mr Longden, the borrower of the first book ‘Bournemouth 1810-1910’.

It closed in 1966 for 3 weeks to allow for extensive refurbishment – and this is when the new entrance was built. Then in the early 1990s it was extended into an ajoining site.

Awarded Grade II listing in 1976.

Current status: Still a public library, managed by Bournemouth borough council

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant: £10,000 to build 4 libraries: Westbourne, Springbourne, Winton and Boscombe
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): Henry Robson, Mayor in May 1916

Photo of library today:

9631849756_1e99ccf4e9_z (1)

Details:

Old photo of library (postcard):

Visited?

We visited in 2013

Web links:

Leicester library

Brief description

The library was designed by Edward Burgess and built by Clark & Garrett of Willow Street.

The new library was opened by Andrew Carnegie himself. The opening ceremony took place at 3pm in the Reference Library on the first floor, presided over by the Mayor of Leicester, Councillor Stephen Hilton. Mr Carnegie was presented with three volumes of the Records of the Borough of Leicester which had been specially bound for the occasion “in full myrtle green crushed Levant morocco, sewn flexibly with silk, with antique gold edges. Tooled and lettered in gold’. Edward Burgess also presented Mr Carnegie with a gold key. The library was opened to the public the next day.*

Awarded Grade 2 listing in 1975.

Current status: still a public library, managed by Leicester City council.

  • Year grant given (if known): 1902
  • Amount of grant: £12,000
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): 8 May 1905 by Andrew Carnegie

Photo of library today:

12699658353_ddd60ae59f_z

Details:

12699652023_d42cb05737_z (1)

Old photo of library (postcard):

leicester-municipal

Visited:

We visited in 2014 and spoke with the librarians, one of whom remembered dressing up in period costume to celebrate the centenary, another told us about the original layout – which was reading rooms and closed access.

Web links:

West Greenwich library

Brief description

By the architect Sir Alfred Brumwell Thomas, known for buildings in the baroque revival style, who also designed Deptford library. Given Grade II listing in 1973.

Current status: Still a library, now managed by Better (formerly GLL)

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant:
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): 1907

Photo of library today:

14652417547_1f420dd85c_z

Details:

Oval plaque on the front which reads:”The gift of Andrew Carnegie Esq”

Old photo of library (postcard):

Visited?

Passed by many times – haven’t been in yet. Photo was taken in 2014.

Web links:

Walthamstow library

Brief description

Built during 1907-9 by by JW Dunford. Awarded Grade II listing in 1973.

Current status: Still a public library, managed by Waltham Forest council.

  • Year grant given (if known):
  • Amount of grant: £10,000
  • Year opened (and by who – if known): 10 July 1909, by JA Simon esq. KC, MP.

Photo of library today:

walthamstow-forblog

Details:

walthamstow-plaque-forblog

Shiny copper plaque in the entrance

walthamstow-forblog-owl

Stained glass with owl

Old photo of library (postcard):

walthamstow

Not sure when the baths were demolished, but it is that space on the far side of the library where the new extension is.

Visited?

Visited in August 2014 – really liked the way the extension added bright space to the original building, and of course loved the stained glass which included an owl!

Web links: