It’s not surprising that 100 year old buildings make the news fairly regularly. In some cases there are celebrations as a centenary is reached – in others a building which is no longer a library has a new purpose. I gather references to such news stories, which record the changing nature of the Carnegie legacy – and share them here.
General article: Carnegie Libraries spring up all around the United States Refers to several of the libraries funded in Missouri: Bolivar, Marshfield and Springfield
- California: Hanford – Events and tours at the Carnegie Museum 2017 Article about the museum, which describes how it opened as Hanford’s first library in 1905. The building remained a library until 1968 – then reopened as a museum in 1975.
- Connecticut: Unionville – Unionville marks 100th anniversary of Carnegie library. 2017 article. Now the town’s museum, Unionville’s West End library was built in 1917 after a grant of $8,500 was awarded, but closed as a library in the 1960s.
- Illinois: Charleston – Library goes beyond books, builds community – still going strong in 2017
- Iowa: Eldon – Eldon commences library renovation Opened in 1913, this is one of 49 Carnegie libraries in Iowa still in use as a library. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
- Iowa: Indianola – PastTimes: How Indianola got its Carnegie (Library) Details the history of the building, from the town’s receipt of a $10,000 grant in 1903, to its current situation: owned by the Des Moines Metro Opera, which is planning a $3.5 million renovation of the facility.
- Kansas: New Hope – Story of rebuilding town focuses on Carnegie libraries [note – this is a novel – and although, apparently, New Hope sounds like Greensburg, Kansas, it isn’t!]
- Maine: Talk on Maine’s Carnegie libraries (2017) Home to 20 carnegie libraries, and “Most of [them] still serve their original purpose”.
- Minnesota: Alexandria – An intimate evening at the historic Carnegie library – also includes book ref: Libraries of Minnesota, by Doug Ohman
- Minnesota: St Pauls – St. Paul’s century-old Carnegie libraries head their separate ways (2016) The 3 Carnegie libraries in the city celebrated their centenaries in 2016: Riverview library, St Anthony Park library, and the East Side Freedom library (no longer a public library, the latter is a museum and library devoted to labour history). ALSO: St Anthony Park and 3 other St Paul libraries celebrating 100 years.
- Mississippi: Meridian – Study stirs memories of segregated library in Meridian The Carnegie Negro Library of Meridian opened in 1913 at 13th Street and 28th Avenue, the first library for African Americans in Lauderdale County. “The small Meridian building where black children savored a few hours of solitude in a segregated South was last used as a library in 1974 and was torn down in 2008.” See also: Carnegie Negro Library of Meridian
- Nebraska: Blair – Blair library treasure rescued from recycling A scrapbook of news stories started when the library opened in 1915!
- New York: Brooklyn – About the Carnegie libraries in Brooklyn
- Ohio: East Liverpool – Carnegie library awarded early learning grant and A centre of Knowledge < article which confirms the East Liverpool Carnegie library opened in 1902, as one of the first carnegie libraries in Ohio. Andrew Carnegie actually spent much of his childhood in East Liverpool and had many friends here.
- Ohio: Willoughby – Willoughby, Willowick library renovations to be completed in May (2017)
- Ohio: Xenia – Saving Xenia’s old library ‘about more than brick and mortar’ < the library (built in 1904) has been vacant since the tornado in 1974, but is in good condition, and the Friends group is working to find a new use for it (2017). ALSO: 5 things you should know about the Xenia Carnegie. Confirms the grant was $20,000, with a later addition of $3,500 to furnish it. It opened in June 1906.
- Oklahoma: Collinsville – Collinsville library celebrates the centennial of its opening (2017) Of the 24 libraries endowed by Carnegie in the state, this is one of 9 still in use as a library. The others are: Elk City, El Reno, Frederick, Hobart, Perry, Sapulpa, Tahlequah and Wagoner.
- Oregon: Oregon City – 104 year old Carnegie library refurbished in 2017 and featured in a roundup celebrating library design.
- Pennsylvania: Carnegie – Carnegie Borough signs 20-year pact ensuring funding for library, music hall
- Pennsylvania: Hamburg – Pieces of History: Hamburg Public Library was funded by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie
- Pennsylvania: Philadelphia – An oasis in a resource desert: the Lillian Marrero library
- South Carolina: Kingstree – WHS celebrates the 100th anniversary of the Carnegie public library
- Texas: Ballinger – Taste of Ballinger benefits Carnegie Library annual fundraising event
- Texas: Bryan – Why 3 libraries claim to be the oldest in Texas Includes the Carnegie library in Bryan
- Texas: Terrell – The 1904 Carnegie library in Terrell Record of a photo in the Library of Congress collection – mentions that the library is now the Terrell heritage museum.
- Washington DC: Carnegie library of Washington DC Story behind Washington’s first central library, now used as offices by a historical society, and for the occasional exhibition.
- Washington: Snohomish – Restore Snohomish’s Carnegie building to its original grandeur < letter from a resident excited about plans in 2017. Also links to library website – the building is now the Carnegie Educational Centre.
- Wisconsin: Two Rivers – Lester library true to mission after 125 years The Carnegie legacy relates to the second library building in the town – built in 1915, it remained the towns library until 1997.
- Wyoming: ‘Cowboy Carnegies’ on display – A travelling exhibition celebrates the history and architecture of Wyoming’s 16 Carnegie libraries
- Manitoba: Winnipeg – Expansion plans, upgrades scheduled for historic Winnipeg libraries Two of Winnipeg’s three original libraries (The St. John’s and Cornish Libraries, in north and south Winnipeg respectively) are about to undergo major expansions that will bring them up to 21st century standards.
- Ontario: Norwood – Norwood library could get facelift
- Ontario: Wellington County Library system invests $30 million in heritage properties and new technologies Plans include updating the 5 Carnegie libraries in the county – including Palmerston branch, built in 1903, which reopened in 2016 after a $3.5-million renovation.
Updates about libraries in England are included in each specific page.
Noticed this planned general research, which aimed to look at Carnegie buildings across the whole of the UK: AHRC funded project: Shelf-Life; Re-imagining the future of Carnegie Public Libraries
- Burntisland: Library set to re-open doors (2017, after repairs and maintenance)
- Dunfermline: Dunfermline Carnegie Library & Galleries shortlisted for top Scottish architectural awards (2017) ALSO First Carnegie library transformed in £12.4 million expansion (2017)
- Dun Laoghaire: Ideas to be sought for re-use of former Dun Laoghaire library Opened in 1912, used as a library for 100 years, until replaced by the new LexIcon library. The architects – O’Callaghan and Webb, also designed the Carnegie library in Tralee, Co Kerry.