Originally built as a private house for wealthy cotton mill owner, Nicholas England.
In 1907 it was converted to become the Colne Carnegie library and a date stone of 1907 was placed above the main entrance. Closed as a library in 1972, and the building was taken over by the Providence Independent Methodist church. They moved out in 2012, and the building was sold. Proposal put forward in 2015 to convert it into flats (and advert seen on Right Move website, 2018).
Current status: Residential
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant:
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 1907
Photo of building today (2009):
Old photos of library (postcards):
And showing the war memorial in front: