Land was provided by the Cadbury brothers. The foundation stone was laid by Alderman T. R. Bayliss. The original architects were C E Bateman and Hale.
On 12 February 1914 it was destroyed by a fire – with suspicion falling on the suffragettes. It was rebuilt, using the same facade. In 1914, it became the first open-access lending library in Birmingham. In 1984, the library building was doubled in size.
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Birmingham council (2017)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £750
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 1906
Photo of library today (2016):
Photo credit: Flickr user Ian (shared under cc licence)
Old photo of library (postcard):
Image from wikipedia: part of an old photograph first published as a postcard by Edwards & Co., Edgbaston Street, Birmingham
- Wikipedia page
- Article: Library celebrates its centenary (BBC)
- A brief history of Northfield library
- News article about the fire: Carnegie library near Birmingham fired by militants. In the Los Angeles Herald (12 February 1914 – so either news travelled fast, or the date above is wrong!)