The library opened in 1906 and contained the living quarters for the librarian. The design also incorporated a lecture room for educational purposes. The library was re-modelled and re-furnished in 1932 (details and photos in the web link below).
Its use as a library was discontinued in 1990s when a new community library was opened in the shopping centre up the hill. ‘Carnegie House’ is now a series of flats. The florally embellished ‘Free Library’ lettering high up on the corner is still clearly seen.
Current status: Residential (2021)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £3000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 25 June 1906 by Sir William Holland MP
Photo of library in 2005:
Old photo of library (postcard):
- Website: Swinton heritage society
- Links to some of the apartments which can be rented (contain lots of photos): The Bronte apartment – in what was the reading room, the Shakespeare apartment, and the Austen apartment – in what was part of the large conference room, in the rounded end of the building.