The building was designed by JH Hirst, City Architect, in a half-timbered domestic revival style.
It served as a public library until 2003.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1994
Current status: Reopened as the Carnegie Heritage Centre, with a focus on local history in 2008. The East Yorkshire Family History Society is also based there. (2017)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £3,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 1905
Photo of library today (2009):
Old photo of library (postcard):