The architect was Arthur Gilbey Latham, and his design was for a building in classic Renaissance style. It has a Baroque facade. The land was purchased by a public subscription. The foundation stone was laid in August 1905.
The library was extended in 1974, to house a childrens library.
Awarded Grade II listing in 2010.
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Birmingham council (2016)
- Year grant given (if known): 1902
- Amount of grant: Carnegie gave £12,500 to King’s Norton and Northfield UDC for the erection of several libraries. Kings Heath was one of 8 to receive funding, and the library cost £3,368.
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 1906
Photo of library today (2009):
Photo credit: flickr user Elliott Brown, shared under cc licence
Old photo of library (postcard):