This was the first purpose-built public library in West Sussex. The land was donated by the Duke of Norfolk. The foundation stone was laid by Lord Edmund Talbot MP 4 March 1905. The building was extended in 2002, and reopened by County Councillor David Dewdney on 24 October 2002.
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by West Sussex county council (2017)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £2,607, 9s 3d (that was the total cost of building)
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 30 May 1906
Photo of library today (2017):
Photo credit: Charlotte Lane/Libraries Taskforce
Old photo of library (postcard):
Yes, during a family visit to West Sussex in September 2017. The library was open and busy on a Saturday morning – and is much bigger than it looks! Besides the entrance hall with a room either side, there is another large room behind, and a further room (the extension opened during the Queen’s Golden Jubilee year), behind that.
- Articles about the library’s century celebration on the BBC, and 110th birthday: council website, and the Littlehampton Gazette