The library occupies most of the southern end of the Market Place. It was designed by Hunter and Woodhouse of Belper, in the Edwardian ‘Free Style’.
Built nearly a hundred years ago, the library looks almost the same today, (apart from some unsafe pediments that have been removed,) as it did all those years ago. A library for the town had first been suggested as far back as 1879 but it was not until the gift from Carnegie, that the library became a reality. The stone panel above the entrance bears the words “Carnegie Free Library”. In 1904, readers selected their books from lists and it was not until 1922 that they were allowed to browse the shelves themselves.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1986.
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Derbyshire county council (2016)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £7,500
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 1904
Photo of library today (2013):
Old photo of library (postcard):
- Entry on the listed buildings register