The Technical Institute and Free Library was built at the junction of Grove and Orchard Roads on land given by the Duke of Devonshire and supported by a donation of £10,000 from Andrew Carnegie. The architect was Philip R Robson. It contained a library, museum, municipal boys’ school and School of Art.
Current status: Destroyed by bombing during WW2. A new central library was built on the site and opened in 1964.
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £10,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 1904
Old photo of library (postcard):
- Eastbourne history timeline