The architect was Edward Potts, and his design was in the renaissance style. The library was built on a slum clearance site in the town centre.
The ‘Carnegie Library’ as it became known was extended in 1971. In 2006, a major transformation took place as the library was incorporated into the LIFT Centre – healthcare initiative.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1987.
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Salford city council. Now known as Eccles Gateway. (2016)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £7,500
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 19 October 1907
Photo of library today:
Photo credit: flickr user Ben Sutherland (shared under CC licence)
Old photo of library (postcard):
nb the library is almost hidden by the word Eccles!
- Entry on the listed buildings register
- Photo of the library and its brown plaque on the Open Plaques site