The site used for the library was a house called Neelgherries (an alternative spelling for Nilgiris, in India) which had been named by George Sparkes, who had worked as a judge in India. When his widow died, she left the house to the town of Bromley “for education and learning” – so when they were awarded the grant from Carnegie, that is where they built the library. The architect was Evelyn Hellicar. The library was extended in 1912.
Current status: Demolished in 1969.
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £7,500
- Year opened (and by who – if known): May 1906
Old photo of library (postcard):
Web and other links:
- Blog post about some research sparked off by a postcard of Bromley library gardens
- Details about this, and all libraries in Kent found in a 3 part article written by Martin Tapsell: The Hare and the Tortoise – some notable public library buildings in Kent. published in Bygone Kent 2001-02.