The library was designed and built by the borough engineer: William J Newton. One of the original features was a stained glass window by H Gustave Hiller of Liverpool.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1984
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Lancashire county council (2016)
- Year grant given (if known): 1904
- Amount of grant: Initially £7,500, later increased to £10,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 18 January 1908, by Alderman TE Higham
Photo of library today (2008):
Old photo of library (postcard):