Foundation stone was laid on 28th September 1905 by the Mayor, Councillor William Middlebrook. The architect was WE Putman.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1986
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Leeds council (2017). There are plans to refurbish and make the library into a hub – bringing in the council contact point. This will have the benefit of opening up an area that had been partitioned off for offices.
- Year grant given (if known): 1903
- Amount of grant: £6,170
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 27 October 1906 by Sir Thomas Henry Hall Caine Esq. (a Manx politician and author )
Photo of library today (2017):
Recording the foundation stone laying ceremony.
Some of the beautiful art nouveau tiles which line the library downstairs, and up the stairwell.
Old photos of library (postcards):
Yes, in September 2017.