Foundation stone laid on 10 June 1907 by Bruce Morison JP (former Mayor). Designed by architects Percy Robinson and W. Alban Jones of Leeds, in the Renaissance style. FG Minter was the building contractor, and the final cost was £13,500.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1992.
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Brighton and Hove council (2017)
- Year grant given (if known): 1903
- Amount of grant: £10,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 8 July 1908, by Margaret Elizabeth Villiers, the Countess of Jersey
Photo of library today (2010):
Details: the interior
Old photo of library (postcard):
Nothing in my collection yet
Yes, several times.
- Entry on the listed buildings register
- Entry on wikipedia
- Hove library’s 100th birthday
- One of many articles by campaigners who protested about plans to close the library in 2016