The foundation stone was laid by the Mayor, Henry W Pollard on 10 August 1905, who also opened the library. The architect was E Godfrey Page. The design is described as Edwardian Baroque.
The library was extended in 1970, by a big new building out the back in a completely different style.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1974.
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Somerset County Council (2016)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant:
- Year opened (and by who – if known): September 1906, the the Mayor, Henry W Pollard.
Photo of library today (2008):
Old photo of library (postcard):
Yes, in 2008.
- Entry on the listed buildings register