The architect was TH Nowell Parr, and it was built by Joseph Dorey and Co. The foundation stone was laid in September 1903 by the Countess of Jersey, who lived nearby in Osterley Park.
There’s a full description of the events and speeches on the opening day in Fred Turners’s book The History and Antiquities of Brentford which is available to read at the library. It was a day of great local pride and Carnegie must have been impressed as he gave Fred Turner a further £400 to fit out the building.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1990.
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Carillion on behalf of Hounslow council (2016)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £5,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 9 May 1904, by Andrew Carnegie
Photo of library today (2006):
Old photo of library (postcard):
Yes, in 2006.
- Entry on the listed buildings register
- Wikipedia entry
- A brief history of Brentford library – includes a photo of the opening – with Andrew Carnegie, the library committee, and the architect.