The foundation stone was laid on 2 June 1904 by Passmore Edwards (another philanthropist who funded libraries).
Awarded Grade II listing in 1974
Current status: The library closed c 2012. After lying empty for 3 years, funding was found to transform it. Now a “workspace for creative business” (2016)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £5,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 3 August 1905 by the Rt Hon James Bryce MP.
Photo of library today (2009):
Another library that features a bust of Andrew Carnegie
Old photo of library (postcard):
Yes, in 2009.