The library was designed by Alfred Dunn, of Birmingham, and built by H Glover and Son, of Bideford. The library is a single storied building, next to the town hall – the rear part of which had been built in 1850. Two years after the library opened, a museum was added, although that later moved out.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1973.
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Libraries Unlimited on behalf of Devon county council. (2016)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant:
- Year opened: 7 February 1906 by Mr C.S. Carnegie from Northam, a relative of Andrew Carnegie.
Photo of library today (2010):
Old photo of library (postcard):
Yes, we visited this library, during a holiday in Devon in 2010.
- Entry on the listed buildings register
- Blog post about the centenary of the library
- Secret Bideford, by Peter Christie, contains details about the history of libraries in the town.