Also known as West Derby library, and its in Tuebrook. Designed by Liverpool city surveyor Thomas Shelmerdine, in ‘Free Renaissance’ style. The chief librarian was Peter Cowell.
Awarded Grade II listing in 1985.
Current status: Closed as a library in 2006. Sold by the council in 2011, and eventually bought by a charity which provides services to young people. There are plans to restore and refurbish it, and they hope to reopen in 2018. (2016)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: c£13,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 27 June 1905 by Sir William Forwood JP
Photo of library today (2003):
Old photo of library (postcard):
- Entry on the listed buildings register
- Article: conversion plans approved (2016). Contains lots of photos of the empty, almost derelict building, but also showing how lots of the period details are still in place.
- Architects journal article on the firm who won the tender to convert the library (2016)
- Rebuilding plans receive a boost at project receives £3.9 million grant from lottery