The grant was offered in 1902 and construction started in 1905. The library was built by R Leake and Sons, of Normanton, and Mr WA Robinson was appointed librarian and caretaker.
Current status: No longer a public library (closed on 26 October 2001 when the new library opened), it appears to be used as local authority offices (2011)
- Year grant given (if known): 1902
- Amount of grant: £2,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 29 May 1907 by Sir William Garforth
Photo of library today (2011):
Old photo of library (postcard):
Yes, in 2011. Caused a bit on confusion when we asked where the library was, as of course they initially directed us to the new one. We found the old one though, and it seemed to be in good repair, although there was no indication who was using it as offices.