Initial plans were made in 1902. The architect was Mr GH Vernon Cale, and his designs were approved in October 1903.
The library was expanded between 1928-33, and again in 1955-56. The most recent refurbishment (which took place after I visited), was in 2013. The new Library and Museum, renamed Castleford Forum was opened on the 9th December 2013 by Leader of Wakefield Council and local Castleford Councillor Peter Box.
Current status: Still open as a public library, run by Wakefield Council (2016)
- Year grant given (if known): 1902
- Amount of grant: Originally promised £2,500, but this rose to £3,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 30 November 1905 by Sir John Austin, MP
Photo of library today (2011):
Old photo of library (postcard):
Yes, in 2011.
- History of the library
- Case study from the architects who did the 2013 remodelling (I confess that picture leaves me no closer to imagining what it is like!)
- Information about the museum