One of 4 built in Bournemouth with Carnegie funding – the second to be opened. The architects were Harry E Hawker and Victor Mitchell.
Current status: Still a public library, managed by Bournemouth borough council (2021)
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: Total grant was £10,000 to build 4 libraries: Westbourne, Springbourne, Winton and Boscombe. Springbourne was allocated £2,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 27 March 1909, by Mayor G E Bridge
Photo of library in 2013:
Old photo of library (postcard):
We visited in 2013. Unfortunately it had just closed, so we couldn’t see inside, but there was a lovely garden next door.
- Brief mention in the Wikipedia page for Springbourne
- Book reference: The history of Bournemouth public libraries 1893-1913 (amazon link)