Opened in 1904, it was the first of 5 Carnegie libraries to be built in Lewisham. The architect was Albert L Guy (who also designed Crofton Park), and the builders were Perry Brothers.
It started with in controversy. The borough wanted to build Sydenham’s Library in Adamsrill Road. The people would have nothing of it and a petition of 1200 names insisted it was in a central prominent position. The council gave way and the present site was procured for £504 from the trustees of Sir George Grove (the famous musical publisher) adjoining the Home Park Recreation Ground and next to his former home.
The building was substantially refurbished and a new entrance built on the side in the 1960s.
Current status: Its status changed in 2010 when Lewisham Council handed several of their libraries over to community groups. It is now run by Eco Communities (like the libraries in Crofton Park.
- Year grant given (if known): 1902
- Amount of grant: £9,000 provided to build Sydenham and Crofton Park
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 24 September 1904, by the mayor: George S Warmington
Photo of library today:
Brass plaque in the library
Old photo of library (postcard):
Visited on a very rainy day in August 2015.