Designed by Manchester City Corporation architect: Henry Price in the Edwardian Baroque style (who also designed other libraries in Manchester, including Didsbury). Became Grade II listed in 2013. The listing states: “In 1912 Henry Price’s original plan drawings for the building, which were being sent to Andrew Carnegie for approval, went down with the RMS Titanic; duplicate copies were sent later.” In c1964 an extension was added on to the south-east side and in 1983/4 some internal alterations were carried out. This latter work included inserting a floor into the dome to provide a staff room.
Current status? Still a library, operated by Manchester City Council.
- Year grant given (if known):
- Amount of grant: £5,000
- Year opened (and by who – if known): 4 November 1914, by the Lord Mayor of Manchester, Alderman McCabe.
Photo of library today:
Old photo of library (postcard):
Visited December 2015 and had long conversation with one of the members of staff, who has done a lot of work on the origins and development of the library.
- Entry on the listed buildings register