Crofton Park Library was originally known as Brockley Branch Library.
Its architect was Alfred L Guy, ARIBA, and it was constructed by F J Gortham of Greenwich. The building sustained damage when the neighbouring Crofton Park Station was bombed in 1940 and 1945, losing two glass dome skylights and the leaded glass in the ground floor windows. The library was refurbished in 1959-60. The library building has been given local listing by Lewisham Borough Council, which describes it as making “a handsome contribution towards the streetscape”. [wikipedia]
Current status: Since 2011 this library has been run by volunteers, and the building is run by Eco Communities (along with the libraries in Grove Park and Sydenham – the latter is also a carnegie library). Books and the library management system are provided by Lewisham Council.
- Year grant given (if known): 1902
- Amount of grant: £9,000 provided to build Sydenham and Crofton Park
- Year opened:October 1905
Photo of library today:
Visited on Saturday 3 July 2016 – and had a cup of tea in their cafe.